- Meat (pork ribs, shoulder blade or hip part) - 600-800 g
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- Potato - 2-3 pcs.
- Cabbage - 200 g
- Carrots - 2 pcs.
- Red bell pepper - 1 pc.
- Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- Tomato sauce - 2 tbsp.
- ASW seasoning “For borsch” - 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp.
- Water - 3 l
Method of preparation
Clean the meat, put it in a pan, pour cold water and bring to a boil. Remove foam when appears. Put peeled onions and carrots in a pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat so that the broth is barely boiling. Cook the meat for about 2-3 hours until it becomes soft. At the end of cooking, salt the broth, and remove the onions with carrots.
Take the meat out of the pan, cool it down, separate the bones and cut the meat into small pieces. Strain the meat broth through cheesecloth folded in several layers and pour it into a clean pan (there will be around 2 liters of broth).
Rinse the potatoes, peel them and cut into strips.
Clean and finely chop the cabbage.
Add potatoes to the broth and cook for about 15 minutes.
Then add cabbage and cook for another 5 minutes.
For mix of fried vegetables:
- Wash the beets, peel and cut into thin strips.
-Wash carrots, peel and dice them.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Wash bell pepper, remove all the pith and seeds, and cut into strips or small cubes.
- Wash the tomatoes, make a cross-shaped incision on each, put them in boiling water for 2 minutes, then in cold water, and then peel them.
- Cut tomatoes into cubes or chop using blender.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan, put beets and fry for 4 minutes.
- Add onion, fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and fry the vegetables until light golden.
- Put the bell pepper and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and tomatoes.
- Stew for 2-3 minutes, pour a glass of broth and salt a little.
- Stew vegetables for about 10 minutes.
When the potatoes and cabbage are cooked - put the fried vegetables in a pan, bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon of ASW "For borscht" seasoning.
Add salt to taste.
Let the borscht rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
Serve borsch with sour cream.